Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: March 8, 2005

  1. #31
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: March 8, 2005

    I know bro. no offense taken. I used it so some would see. That not all thing work out as some think. Like i said. It's good to get input from those who have been there. And those venturing there now.

    Once a Dawg Always a Dawg. The Tradition.

  2. #32
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    Popular rumor now has the protest spread to Pound as petitions were being handed around.

    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #33
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: March 8, 2005

    Alright here is a comment that someone made to me the other day (wish I could claim the idea for myself) he said that his idea, and he isnt biased one way or the other, was this....Give an untimatum, either 1. Raise the property tax so much percent, and let that take care of keeping the 6 schools running, and if not that then 2. Consolidate , and then let the people vote on it.

    Now Im not positive I know how this vote would go but I am pretty sure that the people would vote against Consolidation, because I mean its a given Pound and Appy, all of their people pretty much would vote against it, and then I still think quite a few people from Wise, PV, etc. would still vote for not consolidating because they dont want the change..


  4. #34
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    That's an interesting proposal. A referendum this fall might be a good step to gauge the actual public support for or against any consolidation plan. I'm not fully convinced that "...all of their (Pound and Appy) people pretty much would vote against it." I believe if the School Board and Administration would try to do a better job of informing the public of all the potential benefits that could be garnered through a SENSIBLE consolidation strategy that more people would actually either accept the possibility or even support the idea. But, the outcome of such a vote would be very difficult to forecast nonetheless.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  5. #35
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: March 8, 2005

    Well I understand what you are saying, and you are right that some people would rather consolidate than pay a property tax in Pound and Appy but I would say that the vast majority would be against it.....

    I do wonder though how close the actual vote would be....but the point is you leave it up to the people to decide the fate of their schools that their kids will be going to, and I think that is all anyone from either side could ask

  6. #36
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: March 8, 2005

    That is a great point PoundNDN.
    But the problem is. It will not happen. The school administration will not lose this, it has been in the works basically since 1994.
    The study just done was to show that there is a need for consolidation. I mean honestly how many figured the study would say anything or conclude anything else.
    Even as the gentlemen at the meeting talked, he basically outlined it was the only solution, to Wise County schools systems problems financially.
    Now you paid for a $40,000 dollar study. Which has been i think the 3rd study done. Ok the administration let's it go this time and the board, who is gonna look bad?
    And who has always been made to look bad? The board and the citizens.
    For now there is no talk of 3 schools.
    I was told earlier today.
    What was put out in 2003 will be put back on the table. With the only difference, getting the work done and not having to use trailers for class rooms.
    And tomorrow nights meeting may be without any public comments being taken till later, until all the plan can be viewed and documents given out.
    Right now it looks as if Appy/PV will consolidate, Pound/Kelly. And revnovations to the other schools. At a price of still $54 million.
    My one question is why renovate old buildings? To have to go back and do it again at some point and time. Yes you can renovate, but this is much larger, than just adding a room on to your house. Ever seen concrete when it does not adhese with the concrete that was originally in place?
    You end up with craking and major separation at some point.
    Why do people usually reseal their drive ways ever few years, to keep the asphalt from cracking and separating.
    3 brand new and state of the art schools could be built for that price of $54 million and done right, and maybe at less cost than the $54 million.
    Right now members of the PVMS PTA are to talk to the board of supervisors about a gym for the school there.
    It would be a good idea to let the people have a vote. But then you have those, on the board of supervisor, who would not like that idea.
    Problem is everyone has an agenda. And the citizens, well their left to just ask questions, but get few answers.
    Like i said. Either way for some one. It's a political nightmare. And for our Schools and Children, well who knows, what the future holds for them.
    In all honesty. I wish some one would just step up and say it like it is. What needs to be done. And at what price and how can we afford it, and make it work without going back and redoing it again.
    My problem with the plan laid out. You fix nothing. You add more students to old schools. If your gonna do that. Just put $8 million into the six schools you have and pay that debt off. Same your doing now, if this is the plan. Just patching up or renovating old buildings, right.
    Yet it points to continued declining enrollment? So they say consolidate? Ok. But how? And at a way that is good for all of Wise County Schools.
    Closing two schools to keep 4 operational? That are 50 plus years old? And busing kids. To school that in 20 yrs. will need major renovations again?
    I like your idea. It would be good to see the people get a vote. But it will not happen.
    Like i said im not against change, and as hard as it is for me to say, and the idea of Appy losing it's school at some point and time, but if consolidation will work as far as 3 schools and them new and state of the art, I am for it.
    But to do this the way i hear it is to be done. That is no plan. And i would have to say no. And if i had a chance to vote i would vote no. It is not a sound plan economically for Wise County or the Children of Wise County or the taxpayers.

  7. #37
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    I had not heard the option of leaving St Paul as is from what I saw of the report I really thought St Paul would be toast with there sizable population of Out of County Students and relativly small size could the SB be involved in some Horse tradeing (Vote for consoladation here and we will leave your school alone?) That is interesting if it is true. Not to put the cart in front of the horse but the rumer of the 2003 Consoladation would have put Appy at PV the next school year if you are accurate in what is to happen at this meeting is action planed that quickly again?

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    Well, if there is anything to that rumor, it wouldn't surprise me. That type of thing goes on constantly at all level of government.

    If the renovation of the existing schools is the recommendation that comes down from "His Highness" and there is still a $54 million price tag attached, then somebody needs to check the batteries in his calculator. Even forgoeing the "portable classrooms" that were included before, there is no way the cost would remain essentially constant -- even over just a few years!!!! heck, fuel costs alone would drive the cost up. And, to be honest, that previous plan had more holes than swiss cheese. It wouldn't hold water then and it won't hold water now.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  9. #39
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    I have given up all hope of being able to guess what the next step of the SB will be. But I have a hard time beliveing that anything could happen as quickly as next year

  10. #40
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: March 8, 2005

    Me too.
    They are too scared to do much of anything right now. Heck, they've been putting it off for at least 10 years now. What's a few more gonna hurt? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

    Honestly, I was told that the State Board of Education had told the school system to do "something" about the Appy and Pound schools a decade ago and you see that nothing has happened yet. They move as fast a black strap molasses, they do. But, in all fairness, I don't envy their positions of having to decide the fate of our schools. It is an extremely difficult decision to make and they will catch heck from all sides regardless what they decide. That is why you can't get the "best and brightest" to run for office.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •